WHAT WE’RE DOING
We are taking action out of horror and outrage in the the wake of the the horrific attack at Charleston’s Emanuel A.M.E. church this week, when a young man acting out of hatred, racism, and white supremacy took nine Black people’s lives while they were at prayer. Their names are:
Sharonda Coleman-Singleton, Reverend Clementa Pinckney, Cynthia Hurd, Tywanza Sanders, Myra Thompson, Ethel Lance, Rev. Daniel L. Simmons, Susie Jackson, DePayne Doctor
In the wake of this massacre and hundreds of years of violence against Black lives, we are reeling, enraged, and furious. We see white people, especially in right wing media, denying that what happened in Charleston is racism. People are failing to link this act of racist violence with a larger system of structural violence against black people in this country. Too often, in our news feeds and in our communities, we only talk to people who already agree with us, the other liberals or other radicals. When we do this we miss the conversations we need to be having in order to confront this legacy of white violence at its source: the right wing fear of Black people that fuels this hatred.
Here’s an example of what Fox News is saying right now:
A few more clips from Media Matters taking different approaches/excuses:
Obama calling white people racist is causing this
Cultural diversity is to blame
and some extra hate from Rush Limbaugh
This week we’re asking SONG members, especially white SONG members, to act up and act out by calling in to conservative radio talk shows and sharing your opinions. We have some ideas to get you going below, but how and when you call in is up to you. The important thing is that you raise your voice in these outlets to be LOUD and POWERFUL. Calling OUT their racist BS and holding white people accountable to the hatred in our communities and our culture.
TIPS + TRICKS
- Get a crew together so y’all can call in together. Have a call-in party!
- Listen to one show before you call in, get a sense for the tone of the show, how people get on air, how long they speak, etc.
- When you’re ready to call, find the number and go somewhere that’s NOT near a radio (since there will be a 7 second feedback loop). The first thing you need to do if someone picks up the line is get through the producer. Think about whose voice would be more likely to get on the radio for this particular show and introduce yourself that way. Talk about why your story matters on the show but don’t lead with your talking points — not quite yet.
Other Call-in Tips
- Call near the start of the show so you can be sure to be included in the program. Try calling during a commercial break
- If the call-in line is busy, just keep redialing the number. Be prepared to wait – up to 30 minutes on the most popular shows.
- One way to get on the air more quickly is to volunteer an answer or explanation to a previous caller.
- Print or write out talking points to help you plan what you are going to say before you are on the air.
- When you get through, be prepared to give the call screener a quick one-sentence summary of what you will say. By being relaxed, clear and to-the-point, you will increase your chances of getting on air.
- When on the air, sound upbeat and excited to be on the program. Get to your point quickly. You will likely have only a few minutes to make your point, especially on a nationally syndicated program.
FIND A RADIO SHOW
Raleigh, North Carolina
List of North Carolina Talk Radio
Greenville, Spartanburg, Anderson, South Carolina
Columbia, South Carolina
NewsTalk 1230 WAIM
Anderson, South Carolina
Myrtle Beach, SC
NATIONAL SYNDICATED SHOWS
*NOTE: -not all of the shows take calls every time.
LISTEN LIVE: M-F 6 pm – 9 pm EST
CALL IN #: 866-439-5277
LISTEN LIVE: M-F 9 am – 12 pm EST online via TheBlaze Radio Network
CALL IN #: 1-888-727-BECK
POST ON FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/GlennBeck/timeline
The Sean Hannity Show
POST ON FORUM: http://forums.hannity.com/forum.php
POST ON FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/SeanHannity
TWEET AT HIM: https://twitter.com/seanhannity
ON AIR: M-F 12-3 PM EST
CALL IN OR E-MAIL: Telephone number is 800-282-2882 and e-mail address ElRushbo@eibnet.com.
ON AIR: M-F 3 pm-6pm EST
CALL IN: 1-855-400-SAVAGE (7282)
|SHOW||HOST||CALL IN NUMBER||SHOW TIMES|
|The Alan Colmes Show||Alan Colmes||1-877-FOR-ALAN||M-F, 10pm – 1am ET|
|Bill Bennett’s Morning in America||Bill Bennett||1-866-680-6464||M-F, 6am – 9am ET|
|The Brian Wilson Show||Brian Wilson||1-866-321-1370||M-F, 3pm – 6pm ET|
|Common Sense Radio With Ollie North||Oliver North||1-888-99-NORTH||M-F, 2pm – 5pm ET|
|Dennis Miller Show||Dennis Miller||1-866-99-DENNIS||M-F, 10am – 1pm ET|
|The Dennis Prager Show||Dennis Prager||1-877-243-7776||M-F, 9am – 12pm PT|
|The Don Kroah Show||Don Kroah||1-888-293-9282||M-F, 5pm – 7pm ET|
|Ed Schultz Show||Ed Schultz||1-877-934-6833||M-F, 3pm – 6pm ET|
|Freedom Works! / The Paul Molloy Show||Paul Molloy||1-866-826-1340||M-F, 9am-10am ET|
|G. Gordon Liddy Show||G. Gordon Liddy||1-800-445-4339||M-F, 10pm – 1am ET|
|Glenn Beck Show||Glenn Beck||1-888-727-BECK||M-F, 9am – 12pm ET|
|Good Day USA||Doug Stephan||1-877-541-5250||M-F, 5am – 10am ET|
|The New Herman Cain Show||Herman Cain||1-800-WSB-TALK||M-F, 7pm-10pm|
|Hot Talk with Scott Hennen||Scott Hennen||1-800-279- 9329||M-F, 8:30am – 11:30am ET|
|Hugh Hewitt Show||Hugh Hewitt||1-800-520-1234||M-F, 3pm – 6pm ET|
|Janet Parshall’s America||Janet Parshall||1-800-343-9282||M-F, 2pm -5pm ET|
|Jason Lewis Show||Jason Lewis||1-866-989-5855||M-F, 5pm – 8pm ET|
|Jim Bohannon Show||Jim Bohannon||1-866-505- 4626||M-F, 10pm – 1am ET|
|The John Gibson Show||John Gibson||1-888-788-9910||M-F, 6pm – 9pm ET|
|The Larry Elder Show||Larry Elder||1-800-995-2779||M-F, 3pm – 6pm PT|
|Lars Larson Show||Lars Larson||1-866-509-LARS||M-F, 11am – 3pm PT|
|Laura Ingraham Show||Laura Ingraham||1-800-449-8255||M-F, 9am – 12pm ET|
|Mark Levin Show||Mark Levin||1-877-381-3811||M-F, 6pm – 8pm ET|
|Liberty Underground||Alex Snitker and Adrian Wyllie||1-866-826-1340||Fri, 9am – 11am ET|
|Michael Medved Show||Michael Medved||1-800-955-1776||M-F, 3pm -6pm ET|
|Michael Reagan Show||Michael Reagan||1-800-468-MIKE||M-F, 6pm – 9pm ET|
|Michael Savage Show||Michael Savage||1-800-449-8255||M-F, 6pm – 9pm ET|
|Mike McConnell Show||Mike McConnell||1-800-843-2441||M-F, 9am – noon ET|
|Neal Boortz Show||Neal Boortz||1-877-310-2100||M-F, 8:30am – 1pm ET|
|Radio Factor with Bill O’Reilly||Bill O’Reilly||1-877-9-NO-SPIN||M-F, 12pm – 2pm ET|
|Rush Limbaugh Show||Rush Limbaugh||1-800-282-2882||M-F, 12pm – 3pm ET|
|Sean Hannity Show||Sean Hannity||1-800-941-7326||M-F, 3pm – 6pm ET|
TALKING POINTS (For White People)
- Our ancestors built this country on the suffering and exploitation of Black and Brown communities. This continues to this day. We must make it stop. It is our duty to root out racism, eliminate it, to confront our fears and then release them, to make institutions and policies that no longer feras, hates, cages, and murders Black men, women, and children.
- The denial by white people of racism results in the murder of Black communities.
- White Supremacy is not just fringe groups like the Ku Klux Klan. It is a system that gives white people power and privilege at the expense of people of color and indigenous people.
- Fear and hatred of Black life is as old as this country, if not older. We need to change this. Now.
- Dylann Stone Roof is not just one extremist, he was created and shaped by the same racist society that teaches all white people to hate and fear our Black brethren.
- We are calling on LGBTQ people and institutions to more than ever examine their own alignment to pro-Black organizing, and work to hold each other to task about addressing the ways violence against our own is connected and different, and examine ways we can bring our collective power to bear on intervening on a culture of violence that deems many of us as disposable.
- Every generation must prove itself worthy of our ancestors sacrifice, and this young man is challenging his generation of both white folks and people of color to decide: which side are you on?
Right Wing Pundits
- Dylann Roof wasn’t born hating and fearing Black people. He was taught it. None of us were born racist. We were taught it, in school, in church, in the media, in our families.
- Dylann Roof stepped into a Black church, stating “you are raping our women and taking over our country” and then proceeded to murder nine Black people, the majority who are women. This is about racism.
- We as white people have to claim Dylan Stone as one of our own, as he was raised and shaped in the society that raised many of us too a society that fears, hates and blames black life. We have to make sure there are no more Dylann Stones.